Why choose us

IQ Building Surveyors is a private building surveying company serviced by a team of experts with a wealth of experience within the local government industry.


The staff at IQ Building Surveyors has over a decade of experience working with local governments across the State.

Extensive Network

Because we have been in this industry for such a long time we have a good working relationships with the local government officers and other professionals in the industry.


We offer our services all over WA and are the only private building surveying company located in the Peel region.

Value for Money

We give you a complete service making sure there are no surprises along the way. And we give straightforward advice saving you time and therefore money.

When do you need us

You might think you only need a building surveyor when you are building a house. That is not the case at all. For any type of building you need a building permit and therefore a building surveyor. You need IQ Building Surveyors.


Building Surveying


  • Single storey dwelling
  • Double storey dwelling
  • Double storey canal homes
  • Grouped/ Multiple dwellings
  • Transportable buildings
  • Additions to dwellings
  • Alterations to dwellings
  • Shed
  • Patio
  • Shade sail
  • Jetty
  • Swimming pool and safety barrier
  • Spa and safety barrier
  • Retaining walls


Building Surveying


  • Shopping Centre
  • Office building
  • Multi-storey commercial building
  • Single storey commercial building
  • Shop fit-out
  • Office fit-out
  • Change of classification
  • Subdivision retaining walls
  • Additions to a commercial building
  • Residential units
  • Boardwalk
  • Advertising sign
  • Art
  • Shelter

Additional information

Here is some general information about the current legislation. Here at IQ we keep on top of any changes to the legislation as they happen. For more personal advice, please

Building Act and Regulations

The legislation that controls all construction work in Western Australia is the Building Act 2011 (the Act) and the Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations).

The Building Commission governs this legislation as well as the registration of Builders, Building Surveyors, Painters and Plumbers.

The Act provides for the option to choose between a private building surveyor of your choice or to use the building surveyor that works for the local government.

All building applications are approved using a Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC). The CDC can be issued by the local government (uncertified building application) or a private building surveyor (certified building application).

The local government is required to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance for Class 1 (Residential) and Class 10 (Incidental to Class 1 like shed, patio) building work. They do not have to provide this service for unauthorized building work or commercial building work. If they do not provide this service they will refer you to a Private Building Surveyor, like IQ Building Surveyors.

Building Code of Australia

The first nationwide set of building regulations was referred to as the “Australian Model Uniform Building Code” (AMUBC) and was established in early ’70s.

More recently known as the Building Code of Australia (BCA), it was incorporated into the new National Construction Code (NCC) as of 1 May 2011. Nationally consistent minimum standards of health, structural and fire safety, as well as amenity and sustainability objectives are the stated goal of the BCA. Building Surveyors, private and local government, interpret the BCA during the course of performing their statutory duties.

The Building Code (BCA) is adopted by the Building Regulations and applies to all buildings that can be classified by the BCA and that are considered building work under the Building Act. The BCA changes every three years with the next change on 1 May 2019.

IQ Building Surveyors is a private building surveying company that also interprets the BCA. We offer our services all over WA and are the only private building surveying company located in the Peel region.

Contact the qualified staff at IQ Building Surveyors if you have any queries relating to building legislation.

Bushfire prone area construction requirements

The Planning and Building legislation each treat the Bushfire prone areas differently. Planning looks at the risk of bushfires in relation to the proposed location for habitable buildings, including some commercial buildings. They should not look at the construction requirements of the building as that is part of the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

Under the BCA there may be additional construction requirements if your property is located in a Bushfire prone area. This is only applicable to residential buildings of Class 1, 2 and 3 and any associated incidental structures and decks.

Find out if your property is located in a Bushfire prone area here:

If your property is located in a bushfire prone area and is residential you need a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) assessment to determine what particular construction requirements are applicable.

IQ Building Surveyors makes it easy for your builder to know the construction requirements by providing a comprehensive specification that forms part of the certified documents.

Useful Links

Upon issuing our Certificate to you, IQ Building Surveyors will let you know what the correct form is for the application to the council to ensure your project is not delayed.

All building application forms must be signed by a builder. If the construction value is over $20,000 the builder needs to be registered. A registered builder can be a building contractor, company or owner-builder.

Information for Owner-builders including the application form to become an owner builder.

Find a registered builder.

Before removing a dividing fence, find out if you need permission from the adjoining property owner(s) by clicking here.

Bushfire prone area
Find out if your property is located in a Bushfire prone area. Click here.

Building Commission
If you need more information about the process of obtaining approvals please contact the qualified staff at IQ Building Surveyors or click here to find information issued by the Building Commission.